As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Miami to Key West Move, Pt 2

So, we take off from Marathon, and the wind is blowing like a mother, and we have a concrete pier to windward.

So, Tim and I sit an analyze our situation and come up with a damn good plan.

Then I notice that two boats down, a sail couple are doing the same thing. Except, she's probably the stellar opposite of me: Petite, beautiful, 90 lbs dripping wet Asian lady and looking way too damn cute for the maneuver her spouse is coaching her to.  I point this out to Tim and he says, I'm so going over there, she'll wind up in the drink.

Well, lo and behold, they are just moving to go on the hard for bottom work so, they and a marina dockhand come over to help us.

And we got our girl out of our slip as a thing of beauty, I still learned a few things. As deck monkey, you need to set up your lines how you want them, Tim had set them up for me, but they didn't work for me.  It was okay, I dropped the line in the water and was able to quickly haul it in as Tim was reversing. The other alternative was to pull Tim off his reverse course, or I end in the water.

And seriously, if you don't have help, practice how it's going to pan out before actually doing it.

So for a reward of heavy rains, thunderstorms and being completely soaked, we were giving a mostly sunny day with 20 kt winds at broad reach.  We still reefed the main for awhile until we knew that we under control, but later we let them out and we were a sailboat bay-bee.

There was some excitement as the winds died a little but got shifty and we'd be heeled way over for a couple of seconds, but amazingly, no round ups.

Tim was down below when I let out a rebel yell at one gust.  We hit 10 kts of speed.  I could hear him down below whooping and hollering also.  While working.  That's my guy.

Oh yeah, to reference Lonely Islands "I'm on a Boat", we saw dolphins doing flips and shit.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment