As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Friday, April 22, 2011

A (somewhat) organized plan to sail to Key West

Bright and early we got ready to shove off for Key West.  I set a ambitious sail plan for us.
Which we made.

Stuff like re-reviewing charts and all that?
Not so much.

We hit the road, a little later than planned, but no big deal.  We got through Biscayne Channel with a dolphin sighting to bless our voyage.

Then out in Hawk Channel we deployed the sails and got headed off.

Tim went to bed.  I started sightseeing.

And Ray the Autopilot started heading for the Bahamas. Shit you not.

Okay, my fault was not to review again the paper chart to make sure I was heading for the correct day marker.

And as person on watch, I might have taken note that our illustrious autopilot was going on a joyride.

But. But. BUT.

We were sailing beautifully, the sunrise was gorgeous. The water was beautiful.

And got really beautiful.

And I thinks to myself, this is the beautiful water and blues you see when around a coral reef.

..........Coral......Reef......d'oh.

Shit.  Question: Okay, how can I finesse my way out of this mess before Tim wakes up.
Answer: I won't.

Tim comes up top and I do my best batting of the eyes and "uh, honey, I wuv you, but oops"  He assesses the situation, however, since he's not what we call a quick waker upper, he gets rather alarmed with my slalom sailing through 3-4 MLLW coral rocks.

Some guys, no sense of humor at all.

So, it wasn't really THAT BAD. (He had his moment later in the day, but that's another story)  He found a break and I literally did a hard right and barreled to our proper course and water depth.  Then I was sent to bed without any supper.  Okay, it was still 8 a.m. in the morning.

However, it wasn't like was doing NOTHING!  See?

Going through Biscayne Chanel and the flats before Biscayne Key


Old Glory off the stern catching the rising sun


As usual, the camera can't really catch the true beauty of the color.
But this is when I started to realize that something may be amiss.



The rest of the day went fabulously well, until just before Channel Five Bridge......

Keep reading

No comments:

Post a Comment