As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Trying to reason with the hurricane season....

So, I'm due to arrive in Key West tomorrow.  In which I'll probably promptly be told to get the hell out because there's a hurricane a-coming.

All week we've been deciding whether or not I should make the trip to join Tim, and so far the holding out has worked out for us.

I'm not overly concerned with what will happen, I am a self-professed weather geek, right now I'm no different than the Europeans that come over to chase tornadoes throughout the Midwest.  In fact, I get it.

By that statement, I mean strictly in the sense of how it affects my personal plans. I am concerned for all the friends and acquaintances I have met here.  I am very glad my boat is on the hard right now.

However, I do feel sorry for the folks that get exposed to sensationalized weather news. It happens here in the Midwest and it definitely happens in Florida.

I really feel that it causes a certain sense of lackadaisicalness in the locals.  Yes, I just made up that word.

Being a weather freak, I made that my required science studies in college (okay, I thought I would really be a weather girl when I grew up).  Over the years I have built on that knowledge and I'm quite proud of the fact that I can pretty much read the raw weather data from the NWS and NHC and get it.

So, in tracking my good buddy Isaac I have become exasperated with:

The Weather Channel:  They are on this storm like Nancy Grace during the Casey Anthony trial.

Local (Florida) News:  They are charging down the Keys getting ready for their 15 seconds of fame.  Florida has been extremely lucky in dodging storms for the past several years, so they are overamped to cover this baby.  All I can remember is the news choppers hovering over the poor people in New Orleans after Katrina---how about dropping off a couple cases of water for these guys while you get your ratings boost?

However, I am appreciating the Twitter feeds (omg-did I just say that?) and the NWS-Key West offices up to date reporting on their website.

My advice is: Play to your comfort level, learn to understand what watches/warnings/cone static images and forecasts mean.

That being said, if you see me on the roof of La Concha in Key West, could you airlift me some water?


No comments:

Post a Comment