As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Sundowners and Show, Courtesy of the Hemi D crew

So, I'll show you the beauty of Bahia Honda later, but let's continue with the adventure, shall we?

We get to our lovely anchorage in Bahia Honda.  We need to anchor, and we need to anchor well, because there's a lovely tidal current here.

So, spouse is up front, I'm manning the helm.

We get the anchor dropped.

Spouse: Okay, put her in reverse.

Me:  Pulls throttle back, and notices that not only can she not go in reverse, she was never in neutral.
          OH F********.
           Honey, I can't.  The throttle won't move.

Spouse:  It's just probably tight.  Give it a good tug.

Me: Uh, no. IT AIN'T MOVING.  Oh, and by the way, we are actually in forward.

Spouse: Does the 36ft dash back to the cockpit, and tries the throttle, quickly approaching the assumption
              I made earlier which is . OH F********.

Spouse turns off engine.

We are not set.  We look at each other.  We are doing good, the tide is slack so the current isn't that bad, we have no immediate danger of either 1) beaching (you'll see later)  or 2) running into the big beautiful catamaran that is our anchorage buddy.  And since their crew is getting ready for afternoon high tea followed by sundowners, they won't be amused if HemiD lands in their cockpit.

Spouse: Okay, here's the plan.  I will dive over the anchor, and you'll use Tiny D to set the anchor.  We'll just tow Hemi D backwards.

Me: Uh, run that by me again.  We are going to use the dinghy to pull the BIG SAILBOAT backwards on the anchor with AN ELECTRIC MOTOR.  R U NUTZ?

Spouse:  C'mon.  It will totally work.

So after rapidly assessing the odds of me encountering personal bodily damage on this endeavor and finding out that it's not bad and what the hell, nothing ventured nothing gained. I agree to this madcap plan.  After all, I have a blog entry now!

So, I load up in the dinghy, assemble the Torqeedo and he dives in over the anchor.

He rights the anchor, so it will actually dig in, and gives me the thumbs up.

I say a quick prayer to King Neptune and throttle back in reverse with the Torqeedo. And by throttle back, I mean, I'm giving her all she's got Captain! And Tiny Dancer goes flying back, and starts bringing Hemi D with her. WHOO HOO. HOLY SHIT. IT'S WORKING!

And then the anchor digs in.

And Tiny D, Torqeedo and Special K become a nautical sling shot.  We whipped around on the tow line so freaking fast, I'm amazed I didn't go ass over teakettle into the drink.  I did look like a Looney Tunes character with the stars and the birds.

Then Tim pops up, It's working......Keep going......Where are you?

I'm wrapped astern around HemiD braying like a jackass. But I get it together to get the tow rope untangled and back into 'tow' position.

So, in a more gentle and controlled manner I got the anchor dug in a bit more.  Thankfully, later the current did a great job getting her REALLY DUG IN!

I finally did look up to see 6 people over on the catamaran going WTF?  Which sent me into a tizzy again.

So....for your information.  A Torqeedo 1003 will sucessfully tow a 36' Hunter sailboat with enough power to set an anchor.

And that's all I got to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment