As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Safety at sea: Expect the unexpected

I had a bit of a shock during the trip.  An asthma attack while swimming to shore.  I am a pretty strong swimmer, and I've done plenty of swimming in the ocean.  I do not have a history of asthma--only when I've been sick with acute bronchitis.

We decided to stop off at this pretty little island to play around.  Since there was a bit of surf, we thought we'd swim to shore.  It wasn't that far, there was a little current, but no problem thinks I.

I started off great, nice pace, stop float on my back.  However about half way to shore I suddenly felt like somebody grabbed my bronchial tubes and started squeezing very hard.

More floating, trying to get my breath, swimming little by little.  I make it about 30 more feet and now I am really fighting to get some air.  Not only is it essential for consciousness, having a couple a full lungs of air really helps your bouyancy.  Once again, I roll over to float on my back, but since I can't get a breath, I now have to work to keep floating.

At this point, I think, OH SHIT.  But, I know the last thing I need to do right now is start panicking, so I kept it together.  I start slowly crabbing my way to shore, taking advantage of what air I can get.  However, I know pretty soon push is going to come to shove, because if I can't get enough oxygen, I will start having major muscle cramps. Then...it's going to be all over.

However, by this time, I got close enough that I could holler for Sabrina who had her fins on.  She comes to my rescue.  I get rolled over on my back and she promptly proceeds to pull be to shore...by my throat.

No really, I'm grateful for her help, but it was funny.  Because at this point, I am actually thinking, cool I won't die by drowning, Sabrina is going to choke my ass.  This is funny.

Some other folks helped her get me the rest of the way in, I was in full rasping for air mode at that time and I could feel my calf muscles getting ready for a full fledged revolt into Charlie Horse Land.

I was able to start breathing easier, but it was several hours later until I could really get a good deep breath.

Yes, a doctor's appointment for rescue inhalers is on my list.  And always travelling with my snorkel gear, and Sabrina evidently wants to retire from saving my ass, because I received a lovely low profile inflatable snorkle vest the other day.  THANK YOU ESS!

The irony of this story is that I am Safety Bob when people are in the water. Have a buddy or have a watcher.  Then I about bite it.  Damn.

Beautiful place to have an asthma attack.

2 comments:

  1. Some people are SO picky...throat, ears, hair...whatever. I was never a lifeguard in my teenage summer years. I rouged wheat in the fields instead. I was just trying to remember back to 1st aid and or old Baywatch episodes.....um...grab around the victim and arm across the chest....yeah...something like this...oops not on around throat. They can't breather. Good to know for future reference.

    ReplyDelete