As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Friday, June 14, 2013

Working the sail loft

Warm weather has finally arrived, and yes, true to midwest fashion we went straight from winter to summer, so not pass spring, do not collect $200.

Evidently, while we were in Florida stowing HemiD, it rained some here. As in some, I mean..a lot.  So it's high tide at the lake, considering we were coming from some severe low water levels, you have to realize ... that's a lot of water when it comes up a good 15+ feet.

With warm weather, also came the realization that I need to stop farting around and get the sail loft projects done.  IN my defense, I had been trying to earn my keep with actual work type work, the kind that pays money.

So first I got our binnacle cover done, now we can keep the table up top at all times now and it will be protected.

I also made a cool little storage bag for the teak doors our sail neighbor Terry made for us.

In reciprocation, Terry bought a bimini online for his Cheoy Lee and asked if I would add a backstay zipper and windows in it.  Of course I would.

Okay, he bought a bimini off the internet, not really intended for a sailboat, but whatever, he's working on a budget.  Said bimini requires you taking apart the frame to put it on. Wow.  What can go wrong there. (You'll find out.)

So, I was able to complete his request with some modifications, and honestly, I like what I did with his better than I like what I did with mine.  Harrumph.

Finished project.

The three stooges (Terry, Terry's son Todd and Denny) trying to install the bimini.

Oh, I should also add in above picture that the winds were about 20kts.  Parts of frame did go into the drink. However, and I quote, I was going to replace them anyway.  Oooooo-kaaaaay.

But get it on they did in which I rapidly said, this won't do.  If you look at the first pic, you can see that there just a tiny bit of cloth holding the bimini to the mid-frame.  Nu-huh, that's ain't working.  The sides are billowing up like Marilyn Monroe's dress over a heat vent.

So, I said, give it back let me install some webbing to help keep the sides from billowing up.

And that...that earned me one Black Box Sauvignon Blanc.  :-)

It's supposed to be a living room/dining room. Not a sail loft/office.
So, the spouse is now considering charging me rent for the good percentage of our house that I've turned into my sail loft and secondary office.  (My projects sometimes require me to work on a .... PC.  Very sad.)

And if you are wondering, the globe in the corner IS one of those that opens up to provide drinks/mini-bar.  Gift from my parents...who actually thought they were buying us an accurate globe.

Not so much.

Updates soon on repurposing stuff and the great cockpit cushion project.  






2 comments:

  1. Looking good ESS!!! I think you need a few more "helpers" next time it gets installed.

    ~~_/)~~
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will note, that I watched safely from the cockpit of my own boat, on their boat, the women and children stowed themselves below. Smart move.

    Picture update soon!

    ReplyDelete