As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ft. Lauderdale to Key West by car

Having the boat in Key West is a lot of fun, however, the cost of airfare isn't.

Many times we'll fly into Ft. Lauderdale and drive down. It takes about 4 hours if you just plow on through, however, we decided to take advantage of a 4pm arrival, daylight savings time and.... well, the Keys.

We first decided to stop off at Lorelei's for sunset celebration (MM 82), it was a bit crowded and for some reason the menu wasn't grabbing us for this particular moment.

However, the entire area around Lorelei's is fun.


However, MOVING ON, so, next place we have wanted to try is the original Lazy Days on ocean side, about 5 more miles down.  I've mentioned Lazy Days South in a blog about the great winter sailing trip earlier.

Fab-u-lous.  Food is very, very good.  It also was busy, so we snagged to seats at the bar.  Besides the great wine, fabulous food, complimentary banana bread (OMG-it's worth the trip in itself). My favorite quote of the evening came from a flustered mother of two early teen girls---"I don't CARE! We are sitting at the bar and eating. Find something you want, I'm having a mojito."  And I saw what my life would have been like if I had children.

And then, I saw this:

This would be the Florida version of the Jack-a-lope my friends.

So, forwards and onwards  About 20 miles from our destination, we decided to make ONE LAST STOP. Strictly for research, ya know?  And we stopped at Boondocks in Ramrod Key. We didn't try the food but had a drink and realized we were enjoying our favorite live child exploitation band (as opposed to dead child?  can't figure out the syntax on this), The Doerfels.  Okay, I joke on the child bit, I think at least 4 of them are old enough to vote and pay taxes. However, they have a crapload of talent and are fun to watch, so maybe I'm just jealous.


FYI--I broke my old boat camera, so I got a new one.  Completely awesome camera, except, it's WAY smarter than me, so half my pictures wound up stupid. So I won't be posting those.



No comments:

Post a Comment