As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Of grounding dinghies and chasing schooners

First, there was trouble in paradise.  But I'm happy to say no spouses were injured in the making of the post.

So, while in Key West we made an attempt to go out.  It started out okay, but gradually got rougher as we went into deep water, oh, and the cruise ship channel, and all the charter boats.

Fun, huh.

Then spouse need to take an 'important work call'. WTF?  So, now, I'm up above, slogging on a broad reach, getting tossed about and dodging traffic.

I officially, call NO FUN, DUDE!  And husband pops up and says, well, if you aren't willing to handle this, why do we have a boat, if you want to motor, why don't we have a motor boat.

And then, he cringes as he sees the transformation into She Hulk.  (My eyes actually do change color, it's super cool).

I reply, and I'm not going to say it was in a nice way, or calmly, or anything like that, I reply:

1--Sailed 100 miles freezing my ass off.
2--Sailed 50 miles with rain in my face at 30 kts and no visibility because: a dodger ain't really necessary says the spouse
3--Spent many a mile on watch so my business owner spouse can work.

Hello? I THINK I'VE EARNED my right to say: No fun, I'm on vacation, don't really want to participate in this day sail. So, he asks if we can at least start SAILING back.  Which sent me back into a tizzy, yeah, because this has been so much fun downwind, let's just point our nose into it.

So after beating him verbally into submission, we pull in the sails and head back up to the marina.  And boy is it groovy.  In which, by my side, I hear a meek, okay, yeah, sailing wouldn't have been very nice like this.  HAH!  HA HA HA!  Told you so!

However, this story ends a lot better.

The day after we took the dinghy out to explore the area, we grounded it.  Not super dramatic, just one of those, you might not want to go that way, it's pretty shallow......never mind.  So we turned it into a game of guess how deep the water is, both of us wishing we had our handheld depth meter with us.

After our day of stillness, we finally had some agreeable sightseeing day cruise weather, so we did. And it was good.

And my husband chased down two schooners and passed them, very proud of his captaining skills. However, this was not hard considering they were deliberately heave to so that a wedding ceremony could go on.

That's my guy, and we lived happily ever after.

Man ain't go not business hassling the wedding boats.

No comments:

Post a Comment