As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Shoot the moon-let's make Dinner Key today

So we got up about 5am, got prepped and some food in us and had the anchor up before sunrise.  Still pretty darn chilly, but promises to be a bright sunshiny day.  Finally.  The temp called for up 60s which was going to be positively balmy for us.

So, up comes the sun. Then, this comment from the spouse:  "I've never seen the sunrise before.

SCRRRRRTTCCCCH goes the record player.

What? Never?

Nope.

What about in college and all nighters, etc.

Nope. Never pulled an all nighter, fell asleep before sunrise.  (coughing sounds from me--loser)

Wow. WOW.  Well glad I could share it with you honey."

See, I dig the morning, I can get up early.  Seeing a sunrise is magical.

Now how can you sleep through this?

And some sailing commences

And he's unconcious.....

Actually, I kid, I need to take the first shift on our boat usually to get the sea legs going and the mal de mar tapped down.  But that sun came up, and slowly I watched him ooze down onto the cushions and fall asleep like a big yellow cat in the sun.  I later took my turn, but down below tucked in the lee of the salon and was out like a light.  Funny how 6 kts under sail is a lot more conducive to sleep than a rolly anchorage.


Yeah, it's look where you are going, not where you've been!
Actually looking for our dolphin friends.
One layer of foul weather gear off.

So, the day progressively got nicer and nicer, we zoomed past Key Largo and the seas turned into this magically calm oasis.

Also the wind mellowed out, but Tim wanted to commit to getting Miami, so we motorsailed off and on.  And then the cold and the stress of the anchorage melted away as a pod of dolphins proceeded to surround our boat.  I've yet to get one of them sumbitches to stay still and let me take their picture. Bastards.  But still, Tim and I were like little kids ooooh, look, neat. Ooooo.

Before I knew it, we could see the Miami skyline.  I was ready for a nice hot shower and a well deserved  sundowner (or two, or three...)

Now, getting from the Channel to the Dinner Key channel is a exercise is follow the buoys and watch the shallows.  Oh, and to make it more fun, add anchored fishing boats, and a little place called Stiltsville.  But that's not enough, make sure your color blind and somewhat ADD husband is helming.
The scenario is something like this.

K:"Okay Compy Comp--keep your bearing, it's shallow off to port. About 1/2 mile off you should see the red channel marker, that's where we'll turn."

T:"uhhh. I don't see any channel markers"

K:"that's okay, we still got a ways, but it'll be off to port"

T:"YOU CAN SEE IT? HOW?"

K:"Lasik surgery and fully operating rods and cones in my eyes, dear"

T:"I can't see shit"

K:"Well, how's about we get our sails down, that will help"

(scurrying about as we furl the sails)

K: "Okay, we are about 1/4 mile off, can you see it yet?"

T: "show me on the chart again where it's supposed to be, I don't think it's there"

K: "it's there dammit, #2 16ft tall, has a light"

T: "now how the hell do you know how tall it is?"

K: "read the chart"

T: "I probably should learn what all that crap means, huh.  Are those fishing boats anchored there?"

K:  "No shit sherlock.  Focus. Do you see the channel markers yet. Both the red and green. Don't cut it tight, it shallows rapidly"

T: "Nope."

K: "F*ckit. I'm driving."

I do feel sorry for him, putting the two colors that he can't see on a blue or green background must just play havoc for his brain.  So, he did take back over the helm so I could take pictures of Stiltsville and we played follow the leader with the other boats.  Once again a dolphin popped up to welcome us to Miami.
And I thought Tim would run aground at least once. But we made it through the Biscayne channel.


Miami Skyline

Biscayne channel through Stiltsville


We crossed over the bay to play the 'which channel markers are ours' game next.  I really think there should be a big "Welcome to Dinner Key Marina" over ours. But I don't think the USCG and NOAA would agree with me.  We managed to figure it out, getting a little nervous with the heavy traffic we aren't used to.  However, getting into our slip was a breeze, nice wide spaces between the piers.

Sunset from out slip--cheers folks













No comments:

Post a Comment