As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Just add spices....

The spouse has been out of town the last week  well, pretty much month.  Very weird, because I am usually the travel person of the family.

However, I have got a lot done, we now have a garage that you can park in. whoa, dude, heavy.

The malamute and I weeded the yard, in which malamute proceeded to weed.....the yard.  Non-discriminatory my dog is.

However, in a fit of pure laziness and later justifying it to be a 'learning' experience, I forewent my daily shopping extravaganza and decided to 'live from my pantry'.  I knew we had a crap load of canned goods in there.  Many a time I've actually had to toss them, or donate them to the food pantry before they expired.

Side note:  State of Kansas, get over yourselves, do you realize what it would do to your tax revenue if you allowed one-stop shopping for groceries, beer, wine?  Well, baby, I DO.  If it comes down to making one trip for food and wine,  or two trips to get food, then wine....well, sorry, most days, wine might win.
I'm not an alcoholic, I just play one on this blog.

Anyway, Special K, focus.

If you find yourselves in a situation where you would be living off of canned goods....it ain't so bad.  I suggest two things:
1)  SPICES SPICES SPICES
2)  Variety in the canned food department.

So, this week's menu, completely pantry influenced.  And by pantry, the wine cooler may have been involved.
  • New Age Marinara
    • Petite Diced Tomatoes
    • Tomato Paste
    • Sliced Black Olives
    • Minced Garlic (first in pantry now in fridge)
    • Worchestshire Sauce
    • Red Wine
    • Basil
    • Oregano
    • Smoked Paprika
    • Italian Seasonings (I have the grinder version, both at home and on boat, OMG, yes, do it)
      • Throw ingredients in pot and let simmer until flavors blend
      • Serve over pasta
  • Salmon Burgers 
    • Caveat: I forgot how ...  ewwww ... canned salmon is and I almost belayed this mission, but I persevered
      • canned salmon (there will be bones, they cook down, however, mine went to the dogs...literally)
      • egg beaters (yes, fridge involved, shut up)
      • bread crumbs  (side note:  if you have a micro and inverter, micro a couple pieces of bread until they are self toasting, then crumble in hands= bread crumbs)
      • parsley (the new freeze dried stuff is. the. bomb.)
      • dried mustard
      • mayo (on my boat, RV, house mayo is a staple of my world)
      • lemon juice (most boaters tend to have lemons/limes on board I've noticed)
      • pepper
      • onion (fresh diced or recon thrown into mix, if using recon--let it set in mixture to moisten up)
      • more spices of your choice
        • mix all and then grill or pan fry until cook through -- realize that you are just cooking the egg.  Mixture will be pretty moist
So, I made a couple of good meals, with 2 days of leftovers, and realized that canned goods do not have to be what I grew up with, just like Brussel Sprouts, Beets, Lima beans are not what I had to grow up with.


1 comment: