As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

HemiD visit and minor tropical storm

So, I got to go visit my dear HemiD, basically, I wanted some Special K time with my girl without a spouse on board constantly tearing it apart with the latest project.

So, I arrive, and I am overjoyed to see that she is great since her last visit in July.

I go down below.  Doesn't smell musty. YES!

Now, did the spouse do his hurricane prep projects correctly?  Seacocks closed. Yes. Hatches taped down, NO.  Canvas removed..Yes.  Dock box emptied. NO.

Then my favorite:  The freezer was turned off, but left closed.  The fridge was left on.  So I had the mildew experiment and the solid block of ice situations going on. Great.

Bleach?  Check.

Hair Dryer? Nope. Took it away. Why would I need it in Florida. (Dumbass decision, I wound up buying one the next day--not for fridge dethaw, for hair drying)

So I got the units thawed and de-mildewed and dried and restarted for when we MAYBE show up next week.

So, Saturday morning of my 48 hour trip.  It's raining, but no problem, I find my new most favorite shopping area in the world, a fully enclosed place with a Target, Bed Bath Beyond, Best Buy and food court.  Seeing everything I was looking for was in Target or B3, I was in heaven.

That's good, because the heavens thus opened up. And it started raining. Hard. Really hard.

So, after picking up my crap and waiting for the first break, I begin my mile trip home.  ONE. MILE.

And I learned a lot:
  1. Miamians get cranky when you take away their sun.  
  2. A rental car will float.
  3. Porsches should not take corners at 30 mph in 4 inches of water.
  4. After what seemed like 6 inches rain in one hour, Coconut Grove becomes a canal city. No roads, just water.
So, I get back to the boat, and I was blessed with a lull in the weather, but I could see a big hairy storm starting up again.  I quickly got everything thrown on the boat and down below just before all hell broke loose again.

And this time, the rain brought its friend the wind. And for the rest of the day it was 30-40 KT winds and torrential rain.

But I didn't care, boat to clean, food, wine. I'm good.

However, here's a small pictorial:


The flotsam on the left is the remnant of where the water had flooded up to.

This is usually flat as glass.  It looked like a pot boiling.



No comments:

Post a Comment