As the top says, we like to sail, travel and eat. Most of this blog is written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Beware that I might get a bit salty with the language at times, but it's all in good fun.
And despite what you may read, we are a very happily married couple.because we can laugh at ourselves.
Laugh. Love. Eat. Sail. Enjoy.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Legend of Tiny Dancer

So, when we decided to move the boat. One of my conditions was that I wanted to actually make some trips up and down the coast with it (cue in Kid Rock....NOW...)

So, thus, we should get a dinghy.

Not one to rush into things, my husband begins the great dinghy research project.
Hypalon vs. PVC?
What size?
What kind of outboard motor?
What brand is the best?
etc.
etc.
etc.

Mind you, this went on for FIVE MONTHS.  Rainman meets Forrest Gump, I know all there is to know about the dinghy business. yeah, definitely hypalon.

However, at the beginning of this madness, we got to actually look at dinghys at the Annapolis Boat Show.
Did wonders.

And then, electronic guru husband sees the Torqeedo. Laa aaaah laaaa. An electric dinghy motor.  Most recently Nigel Calder has sung the praises of it.

So that was October.  February the Mercury Hypalon 10ft dinghy and 1003 Torqeedo arrived at the marina just in time for our trip down there.

So, what does this have to do with Tiny Dancer?  And yes, I am referencing the Elton John song.

It all began with the Annapolis Boat Show.  Our Hunter is named Hemisphere Dancer as a shout out to my husband's Jimmy Buffett fetish.  (Hemisphere Dancer is the name of JB's seaplane) I liked it, it's pretty and not goofy.  God help me if he wanted to name it Parrotdise or something stupid like that.

So, my spouse surprised me with a boat show gift.  Polycarb wine glasses for the boat with HemiD's name on it.




However, when the spouse saw the glasses, he was less than satisfied.  Because he needs symmetry and eveness in his life.

So, he states:  I don't like it. The dancer is soooo....tiny.

Me: OMG. DIDYOUJUSTSAYTHAT?

Him: Yeah, what?

Me: Did you just say, the DANCER is TINY.

Him: Yeah.

So I proceed to loudly sing Tiny Dancer to the amusement of the drunks over at Pussers. Okay, they couldn't hear me over their buffoonery, but I did nonetheless.

So spouse says: We could name our dinghy Tiny Dancer.

So, that's how legends are born folks.  Meet Tiny Dancer.


PS-insert the seat BEFORE you fully inflate the boat

Oh, a man does love to play with his dinghy



So, she's a pretty good dinghy. The Torqeedo does the job, although I still would want a traditional outboard for longer hauls or if I had to haul ass for instance.  But I can lift the Torqeedo myself, something that would not happen with an outboard.

..ballerina, you must have seen her, dancing in the sand....

No comments:

Post a Comment